develooper Front page | perl.ithreads | Postings from August 2002

Re: Thread-Tie-0.01

From:
Elizabeth Mattijsen
Date:
August 10, 2002 08:00
Re: Thread-Tie-0.01
Message ID:
4.2.0.58.20020810165430.0242ed80@mickey.dijkmat.nl
At 12:47 PM 8/10/02 +0200, Arthur Bergman wrote:
>>Ah..  ok...  I didn't know that.
>>But at least the value will only be copied to the thread that actually
>>requests it, so that is a saving I would think?
>That is how it works right now, except that it is cloned aswell, I have a
>patch that will defer the cloning of shared values.

Hmmm... thinking some more about this.  Why _is_ the FETCHed value of a
tied variable saved locally?  How would any internal (XS) module know
whether it would be ok to use the saved value or to do a FETCH again?

Would it not make even more sense to change this behaviour of tied variables?

Liz