develooper Front page | perl.i18n | Postings from July 2007

Re: [perl-i18n] Perl locale information sources for server apps,and the CLDR

From:
John ORourke
Date:
Re: [perl-i18n] Perl locale information sources for server apps,and the CLDR
Message ID:
4689A035.1040204@o-rourke.org
Guido Flohr wrote:
> The most important point of POSIX::setlocale() is that it changes
> behaviors of existing functions.  Error messages ($!) are
> automatically localized, provided that the system supports the
> selected locale.  When you output floating point numbers, the correct
> floating point format will be chosen.

This is ok, but in a server application the user is not going to see an
Operating System message, and in my case I am exclusively using Unicode,
so the default Unicode collation works fine a lot of the time.

> 3) If you need more locale specific data, simply integrate them in
> your applications message catalogs for the specific locale, see
> Locale::Maketex or Locale::TextDomain for details.

This is exactly the problem I wish to address - as far as I can tell
there is no consistent, complete, well maintained source of locale data
currently available - Locale::TextDomain/Maketex and the other
message-catalogue-style modules are all for storing locale-specific
messages, which does not do anything for this problem.

I suppose the *nix vendors keep their POSIX locale data up to date but I
can't seem to find any info on how that process happens - who collects
locale data, etc.

cheers
John