develooper Front page | perl.i18n | Postings from May 2006

Re: ordering Japanese

From:
Kino
Date:
May 5, 2006 08:34
Re: ordering Japanese
Message ID:
8BB1EC39-5660-475F-A903-3386A5BAB256@rio.odn.ne.jp

On 5 May 2006, at 23:19, Mike Barborak wrote:

> Second, to answer Kino's question - I'm not sure what the input
> method is other than to say the Japanese is being submitted via a
> form on a UTF-8 web page. My input method has been to cut and paste
> from other UTF-8 sources - hmmm. But in other words, I don't have a
> hook into that part of the process.

Now I understand the situation.

> Third, so the solution seems to be that I will have the content
> editors enter not only the properly formatted names of the stores
> but also a kana-only phoneticization (is that a word?) of the store
> name.

Usually it is called 読み (yomi). It would be better to let them
enter not only the yomi of a company name (e.g. さくらのひゃっ
かてん for さくら野百貨店) but also that of the place name
(e.g. せんだい for 仙台), I think. Or what do you

> Then when ordering, i will do this based on that kana-only field
> rather than the actual name. I believe that should work but please
> let me know if you see any difficulties with that.

Yes, you are right. That is the way to go.

One thing I just noticed in your example...

On 4 May 2006, at 8:12, Mike Barborak wrote:
> 1. 伊勢丹 JR京都店
> 2. アペックス 福山
> 3. アミュプラザ 鹿児島
> 4. オクノ 旭川
> 5. さくら野百貨店 仙台
> 6. さつま屋 鹿児島
> 7. スタンス 米子
> 8. そごう 神戸店
> 9. そごう 千葉店
> 10. そごう 大宮店
> 11. そごう 横浜店
> 12. ダイアモンドシティアルル 橿原
> 13. ニューズ 熊本

As you see, some data of the second entries end with 店 which means
"shop". So they will be understood as the latter half (e.g. JR京都
店) of the shop names (e.g. 伊勢丹JR京都店). And the others
lacking 店 will be interpreted as the place name. That looks a bit
disordered. If the second field is for shop name, you'd better add 店
to entries 2-7 and 12-13. If it is for place name, remove 店 from
entries 1 and 8-11.

Kino

☯ (This character is put here just to force my mail client to send
this message not in ISO-2022-JP but in UTF-8.)