develooper Front page | perl.i18n | Postings from May 2006

RE: ordering Japanese

From:
Mike Barborak
Date:
May 5, 2006 07:20
RE: ordering Japanese
Message ID:
009001c6704e$fa977df0$6401a8c0@Surprise
First, let me thank everyone for their help - this is tremendous as now I
understand I am trying to solve a practically indeterminate problem. This
whole project has been a great learning experience - very cool stuff.

Second, to answer Kino's question - I'm not sure what the input method is
other than to say the Japanese is being submitted via a form on a UTF-8 web
page. My input method has been to cut and paste from other UTF-8 sources -
hmmm. But in other words, I don't have a hook into that part of the process.

Third, so the solution seems to be that I will have the content editors
enter not only the properly formatted names of the stores but also a
kana-only phoneticization (is that a word?) of the store name. Then when
ordering, i will do this based on that kana-only field rather than the
actual name. I believe that should work but please let me know if you see
any difficulties with that.

Thanks again to all of you,
Mike