develooper Front page | perl.i18n | Postings from May 2006

Re: ordering Japanese

From:
Dr Bean
Date:
May 4, 2006 20:22
Re: ordering Japanese
Message ID:
20060505032143.GA2045@momotaro.chinmin.edu.tw
On Wed, 03 May 2006, Mike Barborak wrote:

> 1. 伊勢丹 JR京都店
> 2. アペックス 福山
> 3. アミュプラザ 鹿児島
> 4. オクノ 旭川
> 5. さくら野百貨店 仙台
> 6. さつま屋 鹿児島
> 7. スタンス 米子
> 8. そごう 神戸店
> 9. そごう 千葉店
> 10. そごう 大宮店
> 11. そごう 横浜店
> 12. ダイアモンドシティアルル 橿原
> 13. ニューズ 熊本

> My client tells me that entry 1 should actually come after the 3rd entry and
> before the fourth. From this description on manyogana, I'm thinking they're
> saying that collation of the glyph 伊 should be based on its katakana
> adaptation イ which makes sense:

I wonder why. Can they give you a reason?

Are you sure something isn't being lost in the translation? The
first entry is read 'Isetan', so should be number one, though I'm
not a native Japanese speaker. I doubt they want them ordered by
on-yomi of the characters themselves.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manyogana

I feel this Ise, a place name, is closer to ateji than
Man'yougana, though probably it was originally Man'yougana.  The
same character is read the same way in the name, Ito.

> 3. Is the solution to first convert the manyogana characters to katakana and
> then do the msort?

I don't think so. At least not with ateji. I would regard the
reading here as a kun-yomi, rather than on-yomi, but likely am
wrong.

> 4. Can anyone think of any other glyphs or classes of Japanese glyphs
> similar to manyogana that I should be worried about?

Knowing Japanese collating rules would be useful. Something which
I don't know.

Man'yougana is historical, rather than productive, I believe.