develooper Front page | perl.i18n | Postings from November 2004

Re: Adding Big5-1984 to Encode

From:
Autrijus Tang
Date:
November 16, 2004 15:17
Re: Adding Big5-1984 to Encode
Message ID:
20041116174735.GB90687@aut.dyndns.org
On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 11:20:11PM +0800, imacat wrote:
>     I'm wondering if Big5-1984 can be added to Encode.  I'm developing
> web applications, which rely a lot on FB_HTMLCREF.  I found that Big5-eten
> and CP950 are incompatible, especially in Japanese and European language
> characters.  When FB_HTMLCREF-encoding web pages as Big5-eten, Japanese
> hiragana and katakana characters will be mapped to Big5-eten but not
> numeric character references, which will not be shown at all under MSIE.
> If I encode them with CP950 instead, European characters, like ê,
> will be mapped to US-ASCII.  Neither one is acceptable for i18n web
> applications.

Have you investigated the Big5-2003 mapping table?

http://pingyeh.net/big5/big5-2003-v3/summary.txt
http://pingyeh.net/big5/big5-2003-v3/big5-2003-draft-v3.csv

If this works for you, I am in favor of adopting this as the new default
"big5" mapping inside Encode.pm.  If you really need big5-1984, please
send the .ucm file to me and I'll add it to HanExtra.

Thanks,
/Autrijus/