develooper Front page | perl.gov | Postings from May 2002

Re: Federal Open Source Conference

From:
Lisa Nyman
Date:
May 3, 2002 12:13
Re: Federal Open Source Conference
Message ID:
Pine.GSO.4.33.0108291013030.2875-100000@info.census.gov
Hi,

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001, Chris Nandor wrote:

> I am giving a talk about Perl on October 5 at the Federal Open Source
> Conference in D.C.  It will primarily focus on using Perl for basic data
> retrieval and parsing, esp. with regards to government data (such as census
> data).  As I understand it, much of the audience will be in the Government
> business.

Yes, in fact *we* use perl a lot for dealing with Census data :-)
Especially in unfunded projects.

Fell free to mention that perl was used for on-line data collection for
Census 2000.

> If anyone has ideas on what should be in the talk, please feel free to let
> me know.

I've had to deal with 'convincing the boss' issues so it may be worthwhile
to include some standard advocacy schtick about security and portability.

Lisa Wolfisch Nyman  <lnyman@info.census.gov>  IT Warrior Princess
"Life is too short to wear ugly underwear."
Get the facts at http://quickfacts.census.gov/