develooper Front page | perl.golf | Postings from February 2006

Re: Python Golf Tournaments

From:
Eugene van der Pijll
Date:
February 8, 2006 12:32
Re: Python Golf Tournaments
Message ID:
20060208203110.GA432@alva.mail.gmail.com
Andrew Savige schreef:
> It seems that Python golf tournaments have started:
>
>  http://www.pycontest.net/
>
> except they don't call it golf, instead describing it as
> "shortest python coding contest".

There's a link to a usenet discussion on that site; some of my
observations:

* Complaints about the competition started at the first reply to the
  announcement:

    "What I dislike a bit is the winning criterion:
     Shortest possible Python module?
     I'm envisioning lots of convoluted one-liners which
     are more suitable to a different P-language... :-)"

* After that, people started to enjoy it tremendously... proving that
  under the glossy shiny pythony outside, all real programmers are perl
  golfers on the inside really.

* The next competition will be judged by a criterium more suited to
  python. Who wants to bet that the "most elegant python coding contest"
  or the "most efficient python coding contest" or whatever will fail
  spectacularly?

Eugene

--
Thereisneitherbonusnorhonoraccruedforomittingmostofthewhitespace.
 -- Mark-Jason Dominus