develooper Front page | perl.golf | Postings from March 2005

Re: Perl golf article at Perl Monks

From:
Ala Qumsieh
Date:
March 10, 2005 09:49
Re: Perl golf article at Perl Monks
Message ID:
20050310174909.97417.qmail@web52407.mail.yahoo.com

--- Jasper <jaspermccrea@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nice. Perhaps it'll prompt a new compo soon :)

Ahhh .. how I long for the good old days.
Speaking of that, there was a post yesterday on
comp.lang.perl.misc asking about a one-liner to
reverse the lines in a file in-place. So the input
file itself must be modified and no other files must
be created.

I came up with this:
perl -aF"\n" -lp0 -i -e '$_=join$\,reverse@F' in.file

But then, I remembered Eugene's (in)famous solution to
reverse sort, but couldn't get it to work:

perl -pi -e '$x=$_.$x}{$_=$x' in.file

This prints to screen, not back to the file.
Any takers?

--Ala