Re: Timeout?

From:
Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat
Date:
Re: Timeout?
Message ID:
1025796658.3d246a32c6ea9@imp.free.fr
En réponse à Rick Klement <rklement@pacbell.net>:

> Philippe 'BooK' Bruhat wrote:
>
> > Does this prevent the entry to enter the "unorthodox" category too?
>
> Even "unorthodox" entries have to pass the tests
> and be accepted by the referees.

Well, it passes the tests (timeout is a rule, not a test).
So the question is "will it be accepted by the referees?".

I have another "unorthodox" entry that uses a Perl function I guess
nobody has used yet, but I needs so much memory that it breaks very
early. The algorithm is good, and given enough time and memory
(enough to store n^n precomputed output strings, n being the number
of nodes in the graph), it can give a correct answer. :-)

I can't recall if it's been rejected or not. But I put it in the
unorthodox category because of this. Correct, but doesn't pass the
tests.

I had the feeling that "unorthodox" was for entries that couldn't
quite run in the main course, because they used a stupid or
unexpected algorithm. That's what these did (I think).

--
 Philippe BRUHAT - BooK

 Financez le développement de Perl, avec YAS et les Mongueurs de Perl !
 http://www.mongueurs.net/association/actions/pdg2002.html