develooper Front page | perl.golf | Postings from April 2002

RE: Please explain

From:
Keith C. Ivey
Date:
April 8, 2002 17:29
RE: Please explain
Message ID:
3CB1FDA1.24524.13E64C7D@localhost
Mark Schoonover <schoon@amgt.com> wrote:

> I can see how the characters in
> elvis and lives word sort the same. So would viles. IIUC, seliv
> would sort the same way as viles but seliv is not a word, it is
> merely a string of letters. Am I thinking too hard on this one
> or am I just royally missing something?

It seems that what you're missing is that only words that are
in the file to begin with get printed.  So yes, if you had
'seliv' or 'viles' in the file along with 'elvis' or 'lives',
they'd get included in the list of anagrams.  There's no
magical dictionary involved.

--
Keith C. Ivey <kcivey@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC