develooper Front page | perl.golf | Postings from April 2002

RE: Please explain

From:
Mark Schoonover
Date:
April 8, 2002 15:31
RE: Please explain
Message ID:
BF889CEBEFD2D511B993009027F60ABE155595@AG-JASMINE-NT4
<some snipped...>

--=={Valid words? The sorted words aren't valid words, if
--=={that's what you mean.
--=={But, for example, you can tell elvis and lives are
--=={anagrams, because for
--=={each of them sort/./g is (e, i, l, s, v).

	This is the part that is confusing me. I fairly understand how the
code is working, my problem is in the semantics of an anagram. I am basing
my confusion on the definition of an anagram, and that basically states it's
words or sentances rearranged to create new words or other sentances. I can
see how the characters in elvis and lives word sort the same. So would
viles. IIUC, seliv would sort the same way as viles but seliv is not a word,
it is merely a string of letters. Am I thinking too hard on this one or am I
just royally missing something?

Thanks!

..mark

P.S. Man, imagine taking this one step further and having a tourney that
takes a file of sentances and turns them into a new set of sentances...