develooper Front page | perl.gedcom | Postings from August 2008

timelines from GEDCOM files

From:
Philip Durbin
Date:
August 4, 2008 22:35
Subject:
timelines from GEDCOM files
Message ID:
0CF6DE1D-95ED-4AEC-8664-CB39BA344058@gmail.com
Hello!

I recently finished a little script that parses GEDCOM files and
creates timelines of birth and death dates using MIT Simile Timeline:
http://web.mac.com/phildurbin/timelines

Writing this script has been a good exercise for me because while I've
always trusted that I'd be able to parse a GEDCOM file exported from
the genealogy software I use (GRAMPS), I know for sure it's possible
now, thanks to Paul Johnson's Gedcom.pm module.

My script is feature complete for my purposes (I can export all
descendants or ancestors of an individual or export everyone in the
GEDCOM file) and my family likes the timelines I've made, but I'm
wondering if anyone else would be interested in creating timelines
like this and if I should bother to tidy up my script and make it open
source.

Thanks for your time and any feedback you may have.  You are welcome
to reply to me directly if you prefer.

Phil