develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from November 2007

Re: The "flaming X-wing" secret operator

From:
philippe.bruhat
Date:
November 30, 2007 04:15
Re: The "flaming X-wing" secret operator
Message ID:
20071130085106.GF18823@plop.home.bruhat.net
On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 09:43:36AM +0100, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:

> > 	Me likes. Lots.  I propose, as alternative names for those two tokens, the
> > "fat bat" (because it does look like a particularly rotund specimen of that
> > species, and in honor of the large value it yields) and the"laughing joker"
> > (as in, "just kidding, the rest of the line doesn't apply). :-)
>
> Of course, we now need canonical usage examples of those two.

One usage could combine them two. When you need to use the largest
possible integer on 32 bits, you can use them both. Of course, it's a
slight golf (1 character winned), but a real golfer will do much better.

    2**32-1  # UINT_MAX
    ~@~^@^   # fat bat & laughing joker
    ~0       # golf hole

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 The right answer is worthless with the wrong question!