develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from March 2005

Re: Self-recognizing programs and regular expressions

From:
fun_with_perl
Date:
March 7, 2005 14:46
Re: Self-recognizing programs and regular expressions
Message ID:
d0ilj8$gpv$1@post.home.lunix
In article <20050307223544.GE73711@penkwe.pair.com>,
	rjk@penkwe.pair.com writes:
> On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:27:53PM +0000, Ton Hospel wrote:
>> An infinite sequence of ^ matches only itself....
>
> Actually, any sequence of ^ matches any string, since ^ simply matches the
> beginning of the string.
>
> Ronald
Indeed. For some reason I was thinking only the first ^ meant start of
string and the rest is literal. Not so of course.