Re: merlyn smeared by Python Johnnies' description of Schwartzian transform

From:
Ronald J Kimball
Date:
Re: merlyn smeared by Python Johnnies' description of Schwartzian transform
Message ID:
20030716133730.GB370579@linguist.thayer.dartmouth.edu
On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 06:14:25AM -0700, John Douglas Porter wrote:

> Abigail wrote:
> > Andrew Savige wrote:
> > > I was just wondering if it would be more
> > > accurate to describe this Python decorate-sort-undecorate (DSU)
> > > thingy as a Guttman-Rosler transform?
> > > My understanding is that the GR
> > > transform always uses the bald sort without arguments while the
> > > Schwartzian transform always uses a sort block. Is that right?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> Well, yes, for Perl, but no for Python.
>
> Python Johnny said "sort[ing] by its builtin sort method
> without arguments", which makes us think GRT, but he also
> said "an auxiliary list is first built", which implies the
> general ST.

I think you're misunderstanding the poster's use of "auxiliary list".  Both
ST and GRT use an auxiliary list.

Ronald