Re: merlyn smeared by Python Johnnies' description of Schwartzian transform

From:
John Douglas Porter
Date:
Re: merlyn smeared by Python Johnnies' description of Schwartzian transform
Message ID:
20030716131425.94318.qmail@web10803.mail.yahoo.com

Abigail wrote:
> Andrew Savige wrote:
> > I was just wondering if it would be more
> > accurate to describe this Python decorate-sort-undecorate (DSU)
> > thingy as a Guttman-Rosler transform?
> > My understanding is that the GR
> > transform always uses the bald sort without arguments while the
> > Schwartzian transform always uses a sort block. Is that right?
>
> Yes.

Well, yes, for Perl, but no for Python.

Python Johnny said "sort[ing] by its builtin sort method
without arguments", which makes us think GRT, but he also
said "an auxiliary list is first built", which implies the
general ST.

As we know, arrays don't sort meaningfully with Perl's
default sort.  However, the Python default sort knows how
to compare arrays.  So to a Python programmer, the ST can
be achieved using the default sort.
But that still doesn't make it a GRT.

--
John Douglas Porter