Re: Is this fun?

From:
Keith C. Ivey
Date:
Re: Is this fun?
Message ID:
3F130EF4.17582.23B304FE@localhost
Jon Bjornstad <sahadev@cruzio.com> wrote:

> I had a fragment of HTML that I needed to search
> for imbalanced tags and then remedy the
> situation by appending the right number of closing tags.
>
> my ($no, $nc);
> for my $t (qw(ol ul b i u a)) {
>      $no = $frag =~ s/<$t\b/<$t/gi;
>      $nc = $frag =~ s#</$t\b#</$t#gi;
>      $frag .= "</$t>" x ($no-$nc) if $no > $nc;
> }
>
> How about that last line? :)
> I don't often get to use the '.' operator or the 'x' operator
> and I thought this was pretty cool.

You don't often use the . operator?  No step-by-step
construction of strings?  You *are* missing out on fun -- or
maybe now.

Anyway, here's a very similar bit from a program I wrote some
months back:

	# Close unclosed tags:
	for my $tag ( 'FONT', 'B' ) {
		my $uc_desc = uc($description);
		my($opens, $closes) = (0, 0);
		$opens++ while $uc_desc =~ m{<$tag}g;
		$closes++ while $uc_desc =~ m{</$tag}g;
		$description .= "</$tag>" x ( $opens - $closes )
                if $opens > $closes;
	}

I can't remember why I made an uppercase copy rather than
using the /i modifier.  I'm sure I had some reason.  As to why
I made the copy inside the loop, that seems to have been just
an oversight.  I didn't use \b in the matches, but FONT and B
were really the only HTML tags that occurred in the fragments
I was dealing with.

--
Keith C. Ivey <kcivey@cpcug.org>
Washington, DC