develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from June 2003

Re: 99 bottles of beer on the wall

From:
Paul Johnson
Date:
June 1, 2003 04:58
Re: 99 bottles of beer on the wall
Message ID:
20030601115715.GA18781@pjcj.net
On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 02:07:14PM +1000, Andrew Savige wrote:

> Of the 515 languages represented at
> http://99-bottles-of-beer.ls-la.net/ I wonder if:
>
> 1) There are any that can solve this problem in fewer characters
>    than Perl. Which languages are good at golf?

I think Casey already mentioned HQ9+, though I'm not sure one could call
it a good golfing language in general.

Python stands at 133 chars while we are at 136 (I think), but the
Python version doesn't print punctuation at the end of lines and says
"1 bottles", so I would count Perl still ahead there I think.

> 2) There are any that can solve the problem without using any
>    unsightly letters or numbers (an example of which follows).

HQ9+ can't do that.

--
Paul Johnson - paul@pjcj.net
http://www.pjcj.net