develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from May 2003

Configuration hassles

From:
Moran, Matthew
Date:
May 20, 2003 23:54
Subject:
Configuration hassles
Message ID:
993BE7B40B41D31193C50008C75F68F2090BFE71@exast02.capgemini.co.uk
Maybe you'll know of a solution to this.

I'm runnin Linux Mandrake 8.2 at home, with the latest version of
SpamAssassin. MDK8.2 uses a load of perl 5.6.1 stuff to power things like
their RPM manager front-end, which uses urpmi. SpamAssassin's latest version
requires perl 5.8.0, so in order to get it working I upgraded my perl
install via CPAN. Hmm...

So, now my old Mandrake install is nicely messed up, as it can't find much
of the old stuff it needed. Many of the modules are Mandrake specific, and
are still on the hard drive, but the directories where they live are now no
longer in @INC.

I've been trying to find out how you edit @INC so you can append the older
version stuff at the end of the search path, so that if a module doesn't
exist in 5.8.0 it'll at finding it somewhere. The best I've found in the
docs is using perl -I /path/to/stuff/ but this doesn't persistently change
@INC, and won't work for background stuff unless I go through the whole
gamut of scripts Mandrake uses, substituting it in wherever relevant. Which
is inelegant at best, and IMHO asking for trouble.

Anyone got a solution? Apart from upgrading my Mandrake Install - around
last week it had just got to the point where I was really happy with the
set-up, then I had to go and upgrade SpamAssassin, so I don't want to go
through months of tweaking the install again.

regards,

Matt

" This message contains information that may be privileged or confidential and
is the property of the Cap Gemini Ernst & Young Group. It is intended only for
the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy, disseminate, distribute, or use
this message or any part thereof. If you receive this message in error, please
notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this message ".