develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from April 2003

Re: Fun with Perl, for a change

From:
Ronald J Kimball
Date:
April 10, 2003 08:57
Re: Fun with Perl, for a change
Message ID:
20030410155732.GD1172951@linguist.thayer.dartmouth.edu
On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 11:53:39AM -0400, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2003 at 16:47, Simon Cozens wrote:
>
> > Here's a piece of fun I came up with the other day. Who can work out how it
> > works?
> >
> >     use Ruby;
>  [...]
> > No source filters, XS or any other Deep Magic is involved. It's all pure
> > Perl.
>
> Well, it may be all "pure Perl" but there's some sort-of magic involved:
>
> $ perldoc Ruby
> No documentation found for "Ruby".
>
> So I can only assume that the trickiness comes with the magic inherent in
> 'Ruby', whatever that is.  So there's no fun here..:o(

I think you're missing the point of Simon's post.  Of course the trickiness
is in Simon's Ruby module.  And when he says "all pure Perl", he must be
including the contents of the Ruby module.  But what is the trickiness in
the module, if it's not source filters or XS??

Ronald