develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from April 2002

Re: Self extracting Perl ARchive?

From:
Bart Lateur
Date:
April 2, 2002 08:04
Re: Self extracting Perl ARchive?
Message ID:
qgljaukmkvh1n72uklfmout98cdm7r6mo8@4ax.com
On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 18:29:56 +0100 (BST), Jonathan E. Paton wrote:

>> Heh? What about Compress::Zlib, which is based on the zlib library, and
>> is used both by Archive::Tar and Archive::Zip?
>>
>> It doesn't seem to be encumbered with the GNU license, either.
>>
>> 	<http://www.info-zip.org/pub/infozip/zlib/>
>
>Described on CPAN as an interface, we need a pure Perl solution, remember?  If it's an interface,
>it needs the compiled library as well - which is a little prohibitive.

There are two solutions that I can see...

 1) Make the compiled library a more intimate part of the Perl
distribution (perhaps even part of the perl executable...)

 2) Rewrite the decompressor in pure Perl.

--
	Bart.