develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from April 2002

Re: Self extracting Perl ARchive?

From:
Jonathan E. Paton
Date:
April 1, 2002 06:16
Re: Self extracting Perl ARchive?
Message ID:
20020401141647.55635.qmail@web14609.mail.yahoo.com
> For this to be useful, I suggest it should work on 5.004 and up (earlier
> if possible - there are installations still where "perl" gets you 4.036)
> with no non-core modules. Preferably with no modules at all, to cover
> cases where they have been excluded deliberately or by accident.

Are you sure you can't make it work on my perl 4.00 installation (HP-UX 10.20)?  ;-)

For maximum portability, you need to implement a text decompression algorithm, which shouldn't be
that hard in Perl.  We just need to find that algorithm... treating compression as a seperate
problem, one that could rely on modules.  In fact, we can probably just textually extract the
algorithms out of an existing modules to piece together what we want.

We probably want:

http://search.cpan.org/search?module=Convert::UU

and the only compression module I could find:

http://search.cpan.org/search?module=Compress::LZV1

which unfortunately is GPL'd, meaning we can't license our version under anything but the GPL, a
little undesirable.

Jonathan Paton