develooper Front page | perl.fwp | Postings from March 2002

Re: Self extracting Perl ARchive?

From:
Steven Lembark
Date:
March 31, 2002 22:56
Re: Self extracting Perl ARchive?
Message ID:
172450000.1017644131@dizzy.wrkhors.com

> Create a small (doesn't have to be golf), efficient, cross-platform
> and pure Perl program to decompress the data attached via __DATA__.
> The compression format is up to you.  tgz, tbz, zip, cpio.. whatever.
> Just as long as it compresses decently and decompresses without a lot
> of effort.

How about:

Given that gzip/pkzip/zip can all speak single-archive
files together, we could use something like gzip/pkzip
on a single file. We already have a decent MIME module
that would work for combining multiple files. What about
basically treating however many files as an "attachment"
using standard Mime::Lite and having the perly part just
*zip + Base64 the input, reversing it on the way out?

                                            +1 800 762 1582