develooper Front page | perl.finance.bank | Postings from August 2004

Common features for banking modules

From:
Max Maischein
Date:
August 10, 2004 06:09
Subject:
Common features for banking modules
Message ID:
4117CCF2.1050502@corion.net
Hi all,

just to introduce myself (just in case there are other people than James
reading this), my name is Max Maischein, and I'm the author of
Finance::Bank::Postbank_de, for the German Postbank AG. I'm also in the
WWW::Mechanize cabal, so you can direct your anger in that regard
towards me...

What I'd like to see first would be some commonality in the
results/transactions returned by the several modules - something which
I've factored out into the submodule
Finance::Bank::Postbank_de::Transaction, but that submodule is very
specific to the Postbank.

I think that the setup/connection/passwords are also candidates, but the
most useful thing would be some kind of common storage to allow various
backends (graphing programs, analysis programs, Ebay shipping handlers)
access to the banking data. Maybe we could simply come up with some
database schema and stuff all transaction rows in there and pull it out
again with Class::DBI. Maybe some xSV-file is even better as it doesn't
require much technology to access in case of a dramatic failure, and
diff and grep work on that too.

One thing I don't like about my module is how I reimplemented some
subset of SQL - you can query my module about transactions within a
specific range. This should go out, or I would have to make the module a
DBD-driver - but before venturing there, I think it's more prudent to
push it all into a database.

The transaction details are a tricky thing, but possibly, there are some
"standards", at least for Germany. I'd like a separate set of parsers
for that, as then the applications could recycle the work done there.

-max