develooper Front page | perl.documentation | Postings from February 2012

Perl 5 wiki

From:
Lars =?UTF-8?B?RMmq4bSH4bSE4bSL4bSP4bShIOi/quaLieaWrw==?=
Date:
February 13, 2012 07:05
Subject:
Perl 5 wiki
Message ID:
20120213160453.771a82af@cpan.org
The [official Perl 5 wiki](http://p3rl.org/wiki) has recently become
unusable for its original purpose, see the
[announcement](http://use.perl.org/~schwern/journal/33751). It is
currently impossible to register as a new user. I sent an email to
<support@socialtext.com> six days ago and have yet to receive an
acknowledgement/reply/fix.

I am looking for a champion to take up the cause: investigate what's
going on and keep nagging so that access to registration is restored.
In case we cannot get satisfaction in a reasonable time, let's consider
cutting ties. Some initial thoughts:

* Export everything, tools available from
  <http://search.cpan.org/~lukec/>.
* Evaluate Perl wiki softwares and import. Should support [Wiki
  Creole](http://enwp.org/Creole_(markup)) and
  [Markdown](http://enwp.org/Markdown) syntaxes for editing. Usability
  must pass mst's opinion as "not crap". Must not have URL cruft.
  Insert your own favourite bikeshed colour here.
* Find a reliable host for the software: Perl NOC/digital
  craftsmen/speedchilli/etc.
* Ask [Perl NOC](http://noc.perl.org/) for `wiki.perl.org` CNAME.
* Send webmasters of perlfoundation.org and socialtext.net some
  configuration snippets for their Apache httpd and nginx so that the
  legacy URLs permanently redirect to the new ones.