develooper Front page | perl.dist | Postings from May 2002

Solaris, perl, and C compiler problems.

From:
Alan Burlison
Date:
May 14, 2002 07:32
Subject:
Solaris, perl, and C compiler problems.
Message ID:
3CE11FA7.3B055977@sun.com
Whilst we obviously build the perl we ship as part of Solaris with our
compilers (Forte C), cutomers often quite reasonably want to use gcc to
build add-on modules from CPAN, and in fact we ship gcc on the companion
CD that comes with Solaris.

However, at Configure time the compiler and flags are hard-coded into
Config.pm, which means that using gcc isn't possible without surgery to
Config.pm.  Hacking up Config.pm to use gcc instead of Forte C seems to
work OK, but obviously is just that - a hack.

One possible solution that occurs to me is to allow overrides to
Config.pm, either in a site-wide location
(.../site_perl/.../SiteConfig.pm?) and/or a per-user location
(~home/.PerlConfig.pm?)  As well as allowing a different compiler to be
specified, it could also be used, for example, to allow @INC to be tweaked
to get round the 'My BOFH won't install module Root::Kit from CPAN'
problem - it has always annoyed me that if you need to do this you either
need to set PERL5LIB or bugger around with @INC in each and every script.

To do this I suppose we would have to allow some subset of Configure
functionality to be run post-install, and to do that we would have to
decide which subset of Config.pm values it is reasonable to modify post
install - for example I'm assuming the list would exclude all the
multitude of library function probes or byteorder for example.

Any thoughts?

--
Alan Burlison