develooper Front page | perl.dbi2.dev | Postings from August 2009

Re: Perl 6 DBI API ideas

From:
Jochen Wiedmann
Date:
August 1, 2009 01:13
Re: Perl 6 DBI API ideas
Message ID:
e75283b10908010113l71fdc0betfc64b2f57369258e@mail.gmail.com
On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:15 AM, Darren Duncan<darren@darrenduncan.net> wrote:

> But the point is that $dbh is a *DBD::SQLite* object, that *does* DBI, not
> *is* a DBI object that wraps the driver.

I second that point. IMO, one of the most difficult things to
understand for driver authors with nowadays DBI is the difference
between their own dbh (drh, sth) and the DBI::db (DBI::dr, DBI::st).
The reasons for that design have never been clear to me. The only
reasons I can imagine is the ability to intercept method calls, but
there are other possibilities to achieve the same goals, for example a
public method (implemented in the super class, which of course belongs
to DBI) and a private method (which the driver implements).

Jochen

--
Base64 decoding, 300% faster than sun.misc.BASE64Decoder:
http://archive.netbsd.se/?ml=commons-dev&a=2008-05&t=7522166