develooper Front page | perl.dbi.users | Postings from November 2017

installing DBD::mysql without mysql on the local host

From:
Saline Vector
Date:
November 21, 2017 18:54
installing DBD::mysql without mysql on the local host
Message ID:
CADX0mTx-+9hPQpw64COkAzvwHBfZVxHBxcpMV-BHCp9R0OD2uQ@mail.gmail.com
Howdy,

I have a situation where a data feed for a postgres system is disappearing
at the end of the month. I get the same data feed to a MySQL server every
day. I need to use the MySQL databases to update postgres tables.

To do so I need the DBD::mysql driver. My problem is I am in an environment
where DP and system admins do not see eye to eye. My simple solution would
be to install MySQL drivers into either the system perl or to do a complete
perl install into a private directory. But the admins consider this system
frozen and will provide no support and are concerned about any changes to a
production system.

I have permission to install DBD::MySQL into a private directory so I can
access the remote MySQL server.  But the admins are not going to go along
with installing the MySQL server.

My question is how to install DBD::MySql into a local directory by itself
without access to the mysql_config application. My postgres host is a
Gentoo 4.12.12 system. MySQL server is a gentoo 4.14 server.

When compiling from source I'm asked for the mysql_config program and the
location of mysql.h. Can I not copy these from my remote MySQL server just
to get the installation up?

TIA for any assistance.