develooper Front page | perl.dbi.users | Postings from March 2001

HPUX 11.0 & DBD::Oracle- How I got mine to work

Thread Previous
From:
Bowman, Brent A
Date:
March 6, 2001 09:14
Subject:
HPUX 11.0 & DBD::Oracle- How I got mine to work
Message ID:
81586DF984CBD311A3B900508B5E261F2A0D5E@SA34MSXSNTSA
I finally (after a 2 month struggle) got DBD::Oracle to work on my machine.


System:
HPUX 11.00
PA-RISC 2.0
Oracle 8.1.6
DBI 1.14
DBD::Oracle 1.06
perl 5.6

I struggled for two months to get this all working with Oracle 8.1.7, but
when I when I put on a bareboned install of 8.1.6, I had no trouble at all.

----
perl install:
+ ./Configure
   Everything default except the addition of these two libraries:
   -lpthread
   -lcl
+ make
+ make test
+ make install

-----
DBI install:
+ perl Makefile.PL
+ make
+ make test
+ make install

all ran smoothly like a fairytale

-----
DBD install
+ perl Makefile.PL
   I followed the notes of Lincoln Baxter and Steve Baldwin by performing
the following commands: (each time replacing the Makefile)
     cat Makefile | sed 's/-Wl,+[sn]//g' > Makefile.tmp
     cat Makefile | sed 's/\(OTHERLDFLAGS=.*$\)/\1 -lqsmashr/' >
Makefile.tmp

   The last one did not work as desired, I had to manualy enter the Makefile
and add the -lqsmashr library to every time that the  OTHERLDFLAGS variable
was defined (which was twice).  Also, in the instance where  it(-lqsmashr)
was added, it was put at the end of the line after some important brackets -
it needed to be placed inside of the brackets.

+ make
+ make test
  At this point, the only test failed was the following paste:

---- BEGIN PASTE -----------
Test ora_do with harmless non-select statement (set transaction read only)
Expect an 'ORA-01453' error message:
ora_do: 1453: ORA-01453: SET TRANSACTION must be first statement of
transaction
(DBD ERROR: OCIStmtExecute)
csr out of scope...
ora_logoff...
lda out of scope...
------END PASTE ---------------------------------

I ignored this and installed anyway
+ make install

I test all of my old DBI scripts that access Oracle and they all worked
successfully - so I called it a day

--------------
Summary:
I believe that the default installation of Oracle 8.1.7 adds some things (I
don't know what they are) that mess up DBD:Oracle.  When I put on a
bareboned install of Oracle 8.1.6, my problems faded away.  Since I did not
install Oracle either time, I cannot yet conclude whether or not it is an
Oracle version issue or a "what extras were installed with Oracle" issue.
If anybody has the time, maybe a study can be done on the various Oracle
installs to see what messes up DBD and what does not.  That would be a
usefull item to post on the DBD/DBI webpage.

Have fun,
Brent Bowman





Thread Previous


nntp.perl.org: Perl Programming lists via nntp and http.
Comments to Ask Bjørn Hansen at ask@perl.org | Group listing | About