develooper Front page | perl.dbi.oracle-oci | Postings from September 2003

Re: Oracle::OCI still in Beta?

From:
Tim Bunce
Date:
September 24, 2003 04:22
Re: Oracle::OCI still in Beta?
Message ID:
20030924111141.GB12505@dansat.data-plan.com
On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 05:07:48PM -0500, Scott Dial wrote:
> Greetings!
>
> In trying to get started with PERL and Oracle,

The Oracle::OCI module is not for the fainthearted. I wouldn't
recommend it to people just getting started with Perl and Oracle.

> I thought it encouraging to
> read that a beta version of Oracle::OCI was made public back in
> 2000/2001. However, I haven't heard or seen anything of it as of
> late.  Does anyone know what the plans are for the raw OCI driver?

Lots of plans for good things, but no time now, nor any time soon.

I'd be happy to find a volunteer to take over development (I can
provide lots of help and design suggestions but they'd need to be
pretty self-sufficient in dealing with the C code as I wouldn't
have time to get into debugging).

> Will it just be incorporated into the DBD::Oracle driver?

It may play a part in a Perl 6 implementation of DBD::Oracle.
Either directly or perhaps just in concept. Or maybe not.

Tim.