develooper Front page | perl.datetime | Postings from January 2003

Re: Which DOW is day #1?

From:
Rich Bowen
Date:
January 12, 2003 13:21
Re: Which DOW is day #1?
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.33.0301121612050.25024-100000@rhiannon.rcbowen.com
On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Nick Tonkin wrote:

> Funny how the "Christian" point of view is that Sunday is the first day of
> the week, when "God" rested on the seventh day after working to make the
> world. Seventh which is Sunday for Christians .. (and Saturday which is
> seventh for Jews, so for them Sunday _is_ the first day).

I would greatly prefer it if we not indulge in implied or actual
criticizm of various religions, if it's all the same to you. Your
comments here show that you're unaware of the Christian point of view,
which makes a very clear distinction between the seventh day, on which
God rested, and Sunday, which is a celebration of the resurrection of
Jesus. The seventh day, the Sabbath, is Saturday in the Jewish
tradition. Sunday has been celebrated in the Christian church,
since the first Century AD, in commeration of the resurrection,
not as equated to the Sabbath. That confusion may exist in certain
protestant denominations, but is not the understanding of the larger
Christian Church.

Really the only reason for making this clarification at all, and not
entirely dropping the religious pursuit of this discussion, is that
religion is critical in many of the most interesting calendars on this
planet, and one cannot fully appreciate the history and nuances of any
of these calendars, notwithstanding the ISO, without a correct
understanding of the religious communities that stand behind them, even
if you view them merely as historical curiosities, rather than as
transcendent truths.

So, I, for one, and I'm sure many others, would appreciate it if
everyone restrain from slights, implied or actual, on religions that
will, of necessity, arise in calendrical discussion.

Thanks.

Rich

--
Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the sky on laughter-silvered wings