develooper Front page | perl.cpan.workers | Postings from April 2022

Re: Move dev release tarballs to GitHub?

From:
Ricardo Signes
Date:
April 3, 2022 17:53
Re: Move dev release tarballs to GitHub?
Message ID:
eb7feb5a-0f62-422d-970e-3ec8d9b5fd39@beta.fastmail.com
On Fri, Mar 25, 2022, at 19:30, Robert Spier wrote:
> Would you consider, instead of pushing them to CPAN, posting them to GitHub using the releases functionality?

Robert,

I have considered it, and I think the short answer is, "It's worth considering."  It will break some amount of downstream tooling, like CPAN::Perl::Releases and, downstream of that, `plenv install`.  That makes me sort of reluctant to jump in with both feet.  It doesn't seem like a terrible idea or anything, just not something I feel like is an obvious win.

On the other hand, quite possibly pruning old dev releases aggressively and allowing them to be plucked from backpan is probably quite simple, and I suspect we can do this to older releases without requiring ever releaser to take individual action.  Would this be much of a help?

To test how well the tools will work when the release is only on backpan, I have boldly deleted 5.11.4 via PAUSE.  I'll check back on this in a week.

--
rjbs