develooper Front page | perl.cpan.workers | Postings from May 2015

Re: Preparation for Berlin - Compiler & Checks requirements

From:
Leon Timmermans
Date:
May 29, 2015 11:50
Re: Preparation for Berlin - Compiler & Checks requirements
Message ID:
CAHhgV8joNic5o=mAhRtL9dc7sCax501gkiu70E+pbmHbAJV0hA@mail.gmail.com

> @Leont: You wanted me to review ExtUtils::Builder - can you point me to
> the right place?
>
> For Config::AutoConf, all is contained in
> https://github.com/ambs/Config-AutoConf

Sorry for the delayed reply.

ExtUtils::Builder has been split up into two distributions;

The first is ExtUtils-Builder-Plan, which contains a number of abstractions
as an interface between building processes and the end users of building
processes (EUMM, MB, autoconfigurators, …), this is explained in [1]. I
believe this is pretty much ready for public consumption, but feedback is
most welcome.

The second piece is ExtUtils-Builder itself[2], which contains various
general purpose compiler/linker abstractions. It has a driver model for
various kinds of compilers and linkers, and configurator/profile classes to
set them up. The former feels solid to me, the latter should probably be
reworked somewhat but I'm not sure yet what I want the new version to look
like.

Then there's a third piece that I recently wrote independent of EU::B,
which is ExtUtils::HasCompiler. This is aimed to be a minimalistic
(currently one dep on 5.8, I expect to bring that down to zero in the
future) solution to the question "can I compile an XS extension on this
platform or not".

Leon

1:
https://github.com/Leont/extutils-builder-plan/blob/master/lib/ExtUtils/Builder/Overview.pod