develooper Front page | perl.cpan.workers | Postings from April 2015

On the current Test::More-to-be

From:
Peter Rabbitson
Date:
April 29, 2015 15:04
Subject:
On the current Test::More-to-be
Message ID:
5540F2E6.5090206@cpan.org
This is my (hopefully final) followup to the Test::More debacle.

On April 16th I participated in a closed door discussion about the
current direction of this bedrock module. An overwhelming majority was
content with how things were handled, thus the work is slated for
continuation.

My position (for the record) remains unchanged - the current work being
released as the 1.301xxx_xxx series has fundamental design issues, while
the codebase itself was developed and continues being developed in a
reactionary manner. It is therefore not fit for replacing the contents
of the Test::More namespace, nor can be made fit without a
restart-from-scratch design effort focusing on iterative improvements
instead of a 2nd system rewrite.

Given the above, any review work that I carry out is going to fall short
of addressing the fundamental issues, and as such would achieve nothing
beyond making me complicit in this "crime against the language".
Therefore I am recusing myself from the $Level/$TODO review tasks that I
volunteered to perform. I have not started pouring over the code in
earnest, so I do not know whether there are showstopper bugs lurking
underneath.

I want to specifically point out that I do not place any blame on Chad
Granum. He was simply put on a collision course with a radically
different engineering culture by the previous maintainer of Test::More,
and subsequently got near-unanimous encouragement from the participants
of QAH2015. Any and all preventable *silent* breakage that will result
from this transition is unquestionably our responsibility.

Cheers