develooper Front page | perl.cpan.testers.discuss | Postings from July 2020

Re: Test run results?

From:
Kent Fredric
Date:
Re: Test run results?
Message ID:
CAATnKFByVCku3m1Xy5tF3Fp6v-X=-5U8HN8y_mPboLeKKhN2=A@mail.gmail.com
On Tue, 14 Jul 2020 at 15:36, Doug Bell <doug@preaction.me> wrote:

> > I guess this "oh, this thing I haven't used in a while, is now
> > completely broken" pattern is the price we'll be paying more of for
> > modernity.
>
> No, it's the price we all pay for ignoring necessary maintenance of working systems. I have been asking for more people to get involved in this side of CPAN Testers since 2016. If you have an idea as to how to get people involved, please do so. Otherwise, this kind of comment is not necessary or helpful.

Sorry if you felt this was an insult specific to your work, it wasn't.
It's an admission that, yes, lots of our important infrastructure are
understaffed, and so the amount of labour available to do "the
necessary work" is in a dire shortage.

The places I have to manage perl stuff, is grossly understaffed too.

Perhaps you see that situation getting better with Perl7 becoming a
new thing on the horizon.

But I really don't see it.

Hence, I expect to see various services either fail for various
reasons, or have its owners admit defeat/loss of interest and get
turned off,  like search.cpan.org did.

None of this is great for anybody, and I don't know any feasible plans
to solve this problem other than legalising and developing rapid
cloning of human organisms.

The best I can suggest, is you publish a "Help wanted" page somewhere
with a list of tools you expect people to work with to maintain
things, and lists of necessary/desired skills. Partly because people
aren't likely to put their hand up until they have a realistic idea of
what will be expected of them if they do. Doubly so if their time is
already at a premium.

--
Kent