develooper Front page | perl.cpan.testers.discuss | Postings from February 2020

Re: CPAN Statistics API for mswin32 build failures

From:
Robert Ryley
Date:
February 15, 2020 15:37
Re: CPAN Statistics API for mswin32 build failures
Message ID:
CAHcDb0O4UT4nEHYVQsjwAYRQkcwTg_d7uFwXnO-jmmrKbCrX_A@mail.gmail.com
These suggestions were all very helpful.  It looks like I can get the data
I need by modifying:
https://metacpan.org/pod/distribution/CPAN-Testers-ParseReport/bin/ctgetreports

On Fri, Feb 14, 2020 at 8:41 PM Doug Bell <doug@preaction.me> wrote:

> There's also the "CPAN River", which rates distributions based on how many
> descendants depend on them. To my knowledge, those two statistics (platform
> and river position) have not been combined for analysis.

This is *precisely* what I wanted to know, and where I was headed with this
type of project.  I think there is a lot that can be learned from study of
that data.

> Another option you have to do analysis on large sections of the database
> is to build your own database and populate it from the primary database.
> The CPAN::Testers::Schema project can do that (using the
> "cpantesters-schema fetch" command, which could be enhanced to pull
> different sets of data based on criteria other than distribution+version),
> and there's docker tools available to spin up a local CPAN Testers
> infrastructure in https://github.com/cpan-testers/cpantesters-deploy.
>
> Once you have a local database, you can use SQL tools to do your analysis,
> which will likely be a lot easier than using the API :)

Great!   That is the information I was looking for.

I'd be very happy to update documents and send patches after I study the
CPAN modules referenced in this thread.