Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
August 1, 2000 09:07
Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.
Message ID:
20000801110704.A27203@chaos.wustl.edu
On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 11:27:13AM -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:

> SC> Since this has vaguely swayed back on topic, I propose a perl6-build mailing
> SC> list as a subset of perl6-internals to discuss how we're going to handle
> SC> configure and build issues. I'll handle that if nobody else wants to.
>
> I'm not sure that it is a sub-list.
>
> Build crosses over into Module support. A non-core module should be able
> to use the build capablities.

Exactly.

There is a plethora of issues, all incestuous.

- microperl, nanoperl
- doing away with make and dependence on UNIXish shell and and shell tools
- configuration of core, of core modules, giving access to
  all that configuration/probing wisdom to non-core modules and scripts
- supporting out-of-source and cross-compilation builds

> It probably should be a seperate list. With WGs for the various
> architectures. (unix, windows, vms, etc.)

Yes, yes, and yes.  Did I already say yes?

perl6-build@perl.org gets my vote.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen