Re: Portable upper/lower case regexp matchesre and procedures

From:
Greg McCarroll
Date:
Re: Portable upper/lower case regexp matchesre and procedures
Message ID:
20000813125900.B3889@mccarroll.demon.co.uk
* Larry Wall (larry@wall.org) wrote:
> no doubt be hashed out in the ensuing discussion.  So the idea is that
> we "vote" by exploring the ramifications of the hypothesis.  (If there
> are no ramifications, perhaps the idea isn't so important.)
>
> If something's a bad idea, then a few counterexamples will usually make
> that obvious.
>
> If something's a mediocre idea, maybe it can be refined into a good idea,
> and maybe it can't.  But voting is unlikely to help there either.
>
> Voting doesn't produce consensus.  Discussion sometimes does.

As always there is probably a happy medium here. Some ideas as you
state are quickly resolved, others need a discussion. Some discussions
will reach a consensus, however every so often a discussion will go on
and on, with more and more work being poured into intelligent posts on
both sides and the production of statistics or examples to back up
these posts. So there are probably needs to be a tiny bit of
procedure, so that ideas fall into one of three loose groups ...

	1.) An idea is obviously good and just accepted

	else

	2.) An idea spawns discussion that results in concensus.

	or

	3.) An idea spawns discussion that does not result in
            concensus hence after a certain point, one or more of
            the main proponents or opponents can say this has gone to
            far lets have a vote. The result of this vote is agreed to
            be a working decision that allows things to move forward.

Hopefully with this informal mechanism things will get done with
little or no red tape,

Greg

--
Greg McCarroll                        http://www.mccarroll.uklinux.net