GPL issues and creation of licensing working group (was Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.)

From:
Bradley M. Kuhn
Date:
August 1, 2000 23:54
Subject:
GPL issues and creation of licensing working group (was Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.)
Message ID:
20000802025419.L18420@ebb.org
John Tobey wrote:

> implementation, for which FFI.pm is an attempt at a Perl wrapper, but, as
> you pointed out, ffcall is under GPL.

I think that we should avoid dismissing solutions based on licensing.  My
plan is to write a proposal for a licensing working group, whose job it is
to get questions from other groups such as:

"Can we work out the fact that we want to use ffcall, yet is GPL'ed?"

And find possible solutions, which may including convincing the developers
to give whatever licensing we need.

The group would also work out plans for licensing of perl6 itself.

RFC for the creation of the group coming RSN.  :)

--
Bradley M. Kuhn  -  http://www.ebb.org/bkuhn