Are we in an unneeded hurry?

From:
Roman M . Parparov
Date:
July 21, 2000 01:06
Subject:
Are we in an unneeded hurry?
Message ID:
20000721110027.B4133@empire.tau.ac.il
Hello to the community.

I am asking myself the question in the subject.

IMHO, since it's an open-source non-commercial project, we are not
bound by tight schedule or tough budget. So why won't we build the
project in a "theoretically right" way.

From my experience, there are the following stages in the development
of a project:

1) Research of the need.

2) Statement of the need.

3) Request for Project Information.

4) Reply to Request for Information.

5) Request for Project Proposal.

6) Reply to Request for Project Proposal.

7) Project proposal selection.

8) Project proposal implementation.

9) Project test plan.

10) Project evaluation.

11) Project certification.

We are already past stages 1) and 2) - the Perl6 announcement is actually
a Statement of need.

What we need to - is a well-prepared document 3) - Request for Project
Information. Such a document would summarize the need for Perl6 in the
community and list the features we _desire_ to see in Perl6. I am talking
about final features of the language and not of the tactical, or even
strategical way of the implementation!

Over the weekend I will dare to propose a skeleton of such a document
to the list with blanks to discuss and fill.

A REPLY to such a document will contain the evaluation of the features
the information for which was requested. The evaluation should come in
terms of "Urgency vs. Time consumption vs. Performance" or likewise.

After filtering the reply, a Request for Project proposal will be issued.
It will already be a well-defined Specs document for the future Perl6
language. Replies to it would already deal with the possible
implementations, one of which would be selected etc.

So, I think the discussions over "Microperl-C-C++-ASM" whatever are
premature, for we are not sure WHAT we are going to implement to ask HOW
we will do it. Existense first, the Inquiry and then Sophistication,
as Douglas Adams stated. :)

--
Roman M. Parparov - NASA EOSDIS project node at TAU technical manager.
Email: romm@empire.tau.ac.il		   http://www.komkon.org/~romm