Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.

From:
Simon Cozens
Date:
Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.
Message ID:
20000801143006.A1303@justanother.perlhacker.org
On Tue, Aug 01, 2000 at 12:01:52AM -0400, John Tobey wrote:
> Jarkko Hietaniemi <jhi@iki.fi> wrote:
> > You assume somewhat wrongly.  Large portions of Configure are doing
> > exactly that: trying to figure out which particular variant (how many
> > arguments and of which type) of a system/library call are we using
> > today (and which particular combo of compiler flags, headers, and
> > libraries, if we are using a compiler...)  I would consider doing
> > rather naughty things in public if I could figure out those things
> > cleanly.
>
> That's a different problem.  Configure is trying to reverse engineer
> header files.  Garrett already knows the prototype of his DLL function
> he wants to call, but, unlike Configure, he doesn't have access to a C
> compiler.

Since this has vaguely swayed back on topic, I propose a perl6-build mailing
list as a subset of perl6-internals to discuss how we're going to handle
configure and build issues. I'll handle that if nobody else wants to.

--
COBOL is for morons.
		-- E.W. Dijkstra