Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.

From:
Jarkko Hietaniemi
Date:
Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: External API's: XS, Pickle, Win32::API, FFI, C::DynaLib etc.
Message ID:
20000731225039.A4979@chaos.wustl.edu
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 11:50:15PM -0400, John Tobey wrote:
> This issue has little to do with Perl 6, or even Perl, per se.
>
> Garrett Goebel <garrett@scriptpro.com> wrote:
> > There's an awful lot of Win32 modules that depend on Win32::API to
> > dynamically call functions from Win32 API *.dll's. There is pretty good
> > evidence that there are Perl programmers out there that what to dynamically
> > call C functions from libraries without writing XS glue code or requiring a
> > C compiler.
>
> Support for calling arbitrary C functions without a C compiler is hard
> to implement and port.  GNU ffcall looks like a good, portable
> implementation, for which FFI.pm is an attempt at a Perl wrapper, but,
> as you pointed out, ffcall is under GPL.
>
> Since this issue mainly affects Windows users (I assume), probably the

You assume somewhat wrongly.  Large portions of Configure are doing
exactly that: trying to figure out which particular variant (how many
arguments and of which type) of a system/library call are we using
today (and which particular combo of compiler flags, headers, and
libraries, if we are using a compiler...)  I would consider doing
rather naughty things in public if I could figure out those things
cleanly.

--
$jhi++; # http://www.iki.fi/jhi/
        # It is 'dead'. -- Jack Cohen