Re: What is off-topic for bootstrap?

From:
Uri Guttman
Date:
Re: What is off-topic for bootstrap?
Message ID:
200007312309.TAA02150@home.sysarch.com.

  NT> Anything on language design or implementation is off-topic for the
  NT> bootstrap list.  Take it to the relevant working groups and
  NT> mailing lists.  People who forget this will be gently reminded by
  NT> myself.  Those who insist on polluting the list will be
  NT> unsubscribed.

thanx.

i would like to see the process of new groups/lists become smoother and
quicker. we seem to have finally agreed (for some definition of agree)
on the splitting off of new groups/lists with some regularity. therefore
this mechanism should be well oiled.

here is a scenario of how it could work and take very little effort.

if a group leader sees a concentration of energy in a set of related
threads, they should propose a sub-group with its own list. an RFPC (for
a new subgroup) in gnat's format would be written and posted in the
parent group (and maybe announce). a simple vote could be taken (not
nearly as strict as new usenet groups) where at least 3+ people have to
ask to be signed up for that list to be created and one initial list
member has to be designated as its group leader.

after the group leader makes the decision to create the group (with at
least a minimal vote), the mailing list must be created.  it can be
initially populated with names the leader gets from the originating
threads.

this has to be done fairly quickly. i know ask is busy but if we could
have a little control of list creation in the hands of some of the group
leaders, it would help things out.

the new group/list is (announce)d on the \1 list.

the group leader of the parent should expect some progress reports from
each sub group. as the ending date of the subgroup nears, it has
different possible fate: it could just dissolve as it's completed its
function; it could continue as there is more to finish; it could be
disbanded by high level group leader, etc.  i leave how all that is done
as an exercise to the reader and all those management books.

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ---------  uri@sysarch.com  ----------  http://www.sysarch.com
SYStems ARCHitecture, Software Engineering, Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting