Re: FUBAR

From:
David H. Adler
Date:
Re: FUBAR
Message ID:
20000731183953.A700@panix.com
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 09:44:14AM -0400, Chris Nandor wrote:
> Jeez.
>
> I look at the bootstrap list and despite requests and admonitions, most of
> the discussion is still way off-topic.  I cannot keep up.

Chris has a point.  The volume here is *enormous*.  I'm going to say
what I *think* this list is *supposed* to be for, and whoever's in
charge (gnat?) can point out where I'm right and wrong.  Maybe we can
use that to narrow things down.

As I see it, bootstrap is for the purpose of deciding how best to
structure the perl6 development project.  I. e. Communication procedure
(Should we use one central list, several issue-specific lists and an
announce list, blah, blah,) what divisions there should be to the effort
(qa, threading...), etc. (although even those issues can go off on
tangents - in case you hadn't noticed... :-)

What I think it *isn't* for is to discuss implementation details.  In
fact, to some extent, it's for figuring out *how* to discuss
implementation details.  The traffic on the
what-language-do-we-write-it-in question alone could fill an entire
mailing list without batting a virtual eyelash.

If that's not clear, perhaps this will help:  The questions "Do we need a
working group for regular expressions?" and "Who is going to be
responsible for regular expressions?" are appropriate for bootstrap,
while "How are we going to implement regular expressions in perl6?"
is not.

Off-Topic posts *can* be useful at times, but I think now is the time
for focus.  Once the structure is in place, we can all noodle around to
our hearts' content.

Ok, lay into *me* now... :-)

dha

--
David H. Adler - <dha@panix.com> - http://www.panix.com/~dha/
Perl can certainly be used as a first computer language, but it was