Re: RFC draft: RFC's to use POD

From:
Damien Neil
Date:
Re: RFC draft: RFC's to use POD
Message ID:
20000731100927.A31811@misago.org
On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 11:50:01AM -0400, Chaim Frenkel wrote:
> Kill the mimes. Just extra noise.
>
> (Thought if nothing but plain ascii were sent through, I _might_ be
> able to live with it. But anything else, ...)

From where I sit (using a MIME-capable mailer), I cannot disagree more.

Forget binary attachments; I agree that those are evil 99% of the time.
MIME is wonderful for handling patches, for one thing.  No more
accidental munging of leading dashes, or whitespace.  No need to
manually cut out the one patch I want from a set of three.

If RFCs are going to be in POD, I would find them much easier to deal
with if they were sent as MIME attachments.  Certain bits of POD
are rather sub-optimal to read -- lists, for example, require a minimum
of four lines per entry.  Much nicer to be able to automatically dump
PODs through a translator.

Of course, YMMV, especially if you're using a non-MIME-capable mail
reader.  If most Perl folks use such, then perhaps MIME should be
verboten here.  But please do realize that MIME can be far more than
just "extra noise".

                        - Damien