Re: perl 6 requirements

From:
Hildo Biersma
Date:
Re: perl 6 requirements
Message ID:
39859474.A275198E@msdw.com
Jonathan Scott Duff wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 31, 2000 at 12:17:58PM +0100, Hildo Biersma wrote:
> > In issue 3.2.1 (localtime), note that the month starting at 0 is very
> > useful for arrays - which is of the course the reason it is done this
> > way.  I am not convinced going to an index of 1 is the right approach.
> > It might be more useful if the core came with a useful, minimalistic but
> > inheritable, Date object.
>
> Hmm.  Do you mean "core" as in "part of the perl binary" or as in
> "comes with the standard perl distribution"?  I always think of "the
> core" as the former.  Given that definition for "core" I don't think
> we need Date objects as part of the core but I *do* think that we
> should have some thin interfaces (OO and procedural) that provide
> arrays that start from 1, etc. as part of the perl distribution.

I meant 'as in whatever the new new localtime() function returns'.
Clearly, we weant to dump functions like these into an extension library
that should always be present on a system and will be loaded on request.

Personally, I like the current localtime() function.  If we are going to
mess with it to return weird array offsets (such as '1' for January,
whoever came up with that?  It should be 11, after all December is month
10 :-), we may as well have go all the way and have it return an object.

> Keep in mind that there are insane people like myself who don't care how
> many bits a numeric scalar is as long as it can hold whatever number I
> put in it.  :-)  I'd like to see Perl have smart type promotion (and
> demotion) built-in.  (i.e. char <-> int <-> long <-> arbitrary as
> needed)

That's called a 'number' I guess.  Hey, we may as well do implicit
upgrades to Math::BigInt in perl6...

> > - (pipedream) making closures proper first-level objects that
> >   can be serialized/dumped and later restored.
>
> Remember ... Perl 6 is still a pipedream  ;-)

We'll make it happen.

Hildo