Re: The 0.5 Release of Sapphire Is Available

From:
John Porter
Date:
Re: The 0.5 Release of Sapphire Is Available
Message ID:
20000731105410.A20789@min.net
Nathan Torkington wrote:
> Modular decomposition of the problem space doesn't mean that each
> module has to be reusable in contexts other than Perl.  I think a lot
> of people are missing this.  I think the Perl's RE engine, for
> instance, is going to assume Perl so that it knows about scalars,
> callbacks, and so on.

I hate to have to disagree with you, Nat, but ...

What does it mean to "know about" scalars, callbacks, etc.?
If those things are also implemented in modules with well-defined
interfaces, the RE engine only has to know about those interfaces.
There's no reason scalars, callbacks, etc. can't be highly
decoupled from the other modules which use them.

--
John Porter