Re: The 0.5 Release of Sapphire Is Available

From:
Dan Sugalski
Date:
Re: The 0.5 Release of Sapphire Is Available
Message ID:
Pine.LNX.4.10.10007300142410.9887-100000@tuatha.sidhe.org
On Sat, 29 Jul 2000, Nathan Torkington wrote:

> Dan Sugalski writes:
> > I'd like this as well, though I'm not particularly willing to sacrifice
> > speed for it, if it comes down to that. (Not that it must, mind, but if it
> > does...)
>
> Modular decomposition of the problem space doesn't mean that each
> module has to be reusable in contexts other than Perl.  I think a lot
> of people are missing this.  I think the Perl's RE engine, for
> instance, is going to assume Perl so that it knows about scalars,
> callbacks, and so on.

I've had some off-list discussions about using perl pieces in non-perl
code, which has been coloring things for me. I'm fully up for a good
modular approach, and looking forward to using PI or its equivalent to use
as a filter because of this--it'll let us get a perl better tuned for a
particular target architecture. (Macros might be the way to go for some
systems, while functions are a win for others, amongst other things. But
that's all off-topic here)

					Dan