Re: The 0.5 Release of Sapphire Is Available

From:
Nathan Torkington
Date:
Re: The 0.5 Release of Sapphire Is Available
Message ID:
14723.5759.515799.150234@prometheus.frii.com
Dan Sugalski writes:
> I'd like this as well, though I'm not particularly willing to sacrifice
> speed for it, if it comes down to that. (Not that it must, mind, but if it
> does...)

Modular decomposition of the problem space doesn't mean that each
module has to be reusable in contexts other than Perl.  I think a lot
of people are missing this.  I think the Perl's RE engine, for
instance, is going to assume Perl so that it knows about scalars,
callbacks, and so on.

You could design an abstract interface to any language, but that's
going to slow down the Perl version to make it possible to use
other versions, and I don't (personally, not as project leader)
like that tradeoff.  I'd be very surprised if that kind of approach
was adopted.

Nat